One of my most favourite things to cook in the Thermomix is to steam a whole chook (Aussie slang for chicken)! It’s amazing how so many people are not aware that this can be done, but once they do it for the first time they never look back!
I prefer to steam my chicken in the Varoma as opposed to roasting it in the oven. Sometimes I put it in the oven for 10 minutes at the end to brown up, this depends on the sort of marinade I rub into it. I find if I have paprika in the mix to rub on it, that it doesn’t need to go in the oven at all due to the colour of paprika. However it really is a personal preference.
Steaming the chicken in the Varoma leaves the chicken soooo moist it’s really beautiful. I do find that the oven can dry out the chicken meat in comparison.
NB: If you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people you can buy a few chicken pieces rather than a whole chicken.
Herbie the Chook was made by many on the June and November 2014 ThermoFun Cook Along and was loved by all.
All my spice blends work well with a “roast chook”.
- 1 chicken (up to 2kg)
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs, dried
- 2 tsp paprika, sweet
- ½ lemon, juice only
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1700g boiling water from kettle
- vegetables of your choice, peeled and chopped
- Rinse the chicken cavity and then pat dry with paper towel.
- Pierce the skin of the chicken all over with a knife.
Mix in a small bowl: mixed herbs, paprika, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Pat and rub into skin of chicken.
NB: I do wear disposable gloves here to save my fingers getting stained from the paprika!
- Place chicken in Varoma deep dish.
- Pour boiling water in TM bowl and place assembled Varoma on top of TM lid and cook 50 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
- After 50 mins of cooking, (depending on size of chicken), add hard vegetables eg: potatoes, pumpkin and carrots around the sides of the chicken in the Varoma and cook 20 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
- OR remove chicken from Varoma and place in a baking dish and continue cooking in oven for approx. 10 mins. This will give you plenty of room to cook a large amount of vegetables in the Varoma if required.
- Remove Varoma from TM lid and set aside. Place soft vegetables in simmering basket and lower the basket into TM bowl. Place assembled Varoma with chicken and/or veg back on TM lid and cook 8 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
Make sure to keep broth from steamed chicken as it is a great base for soups, stews, sauces etc.
Disclaimer: If you are using your TM5 and you get an error code C160 or C161 – please contact your consultant or Thermomix Australia in regards to your machine as it may have a known problem.
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox every Monday make sure you become a ThermoFun Club Member.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.