I was reminded of this recipe when I was looking at the National Days and today is National Fried Chicken Day! This was a recipe on the January Back to School Cook Along in 2016 and I just realised the recipe never got published on my website! So here it is!! 🙂
If you’ve tried Herbie the Chook and His Vego Friends in your thermomix then I’m sure the family will love this. Succulent spiced chicken and vegetables full of so much flavour! See if you can try and keep a little leftovers for lunches!
- 1 chicken (up to 2kg)
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 batch (4 Tbsp) TFC Spice Blend
- 1700g boiling water from kettle
- vegetables of your choice, cut into serving pieces
- Make ThermoFun TFC Spice Blend and set aside.
- Rinse the chicken cavity and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Insert lemon into the chicken cavity.
- Pat and rub the TFC Spice Blend under and on top of the chicken skin.
- Place the chicken into the Varoma.
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl, place assembled Varoma onto TM lid and cook 60 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
- Remove Varoma from TM lid and set aside. Check water level in bowl is adequate. Add hard vegetables eg. potatoes, pumpkin, and carrots into simmering basket and carefully lower basket into TM bowl.
- Place assembled Varoma with chicken onto TM lid and cook 30 mins / Varoma / speed 2 (vary time depending on size of chicken). Then place the soft vegetables around the chicken and cook 8 mins / Varoma / speed 2. OR remove chicken from Varoma and place into a baking dish to brown. Cook in oven approx. 20-30 mins.
- This will then give plenty of room to steam a large amount of vegetables in your Varoma, if required.
* wear disposable gloves to save fingers getting stained from the TFC spice blend!
* Make sure to keep broth from steamed chicken as it is a great base for soups, stews, sauces etc
Disclaimer: If you are using your TM5 and you get an error code C160 or C161 – please contact your consultant or Thermomix Australia in regards to your machine as it may have a known problem.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.