Salmon is one of my favourite seafoods and when I tried it in the Thermomix Varoma I knew straight away that it was going to be a hit with the family.
The accompanying Cucumber and Spiced Yoghurt set the dish off and we all felt like we were eating at a 5 star restaurant.
If you love salmon you MUST cook this - if you like salmon you MUST cook this - if you've never had salmon you MUST cook this. I think you all get the drift ... :)
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, lightly peeled
- sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- handful fresh coriander
- handful fresh mint
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Salmon & Cucumber
- 4 portions salmon steaks
- 600g boiling water from kettle
- 450g potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- dried dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut cucumbers in half length ways. Scoop out seeds (discard).
- Sprinkle with salt and place into a colander over a bowl. Set aside 30 mins to drain.
- Rinse lightly and pat dry with paper towel.
- Slice and place into a separate bowl.
- Place garlic, coriander, cumin, fresh coriander and mint into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 7. Scrape down and repeat.
- Add yoghurt and oil and mix 10 sec / speed 5. Scrape down and repeat. Set aside.
No need to wash TM bowl.
Potatoes, Carrots and Salmon
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl.
- Place potatoes and carrots into simmering basket and place basket inside TM bowl.
- Wet and squeeze some baking paper and lay flat onto Varoma tray. Place salmon steaks onto baking paper.
- Add generous sprinkle of dried dill, salt and pepper to steaks.
- Place assembled Varoma onto TM lid and steam 20-30 mins / Varoma / speed 1.
- To serve, place salmon steaks, potatoes, carrots and sliced cucumber onto plates and dress with spiced yoghurt.
Cooking time: Will depend on the thickness of your salmon and also how big the cuts of potato are, it is best to check both half way through cooking.
For a quick tip from a lovely ThermoFun Club Member, here is a very efficient way to deseed a cucumber. Many thanks Raelene and to your hubby for sharing this awesome tip! :) ThermoFunCucumberVideo
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.
Another winner - thanks Leonie!
Thank you Alison! :)
This was delicious. Our family with 3 little ones loved it. The sauce was delicious.
Great to hear Michelle - particularly when your 3 little ones loved it too! :)
Gillian Murphy says
Tried this dish last night. It was a big hit with the family. So simple to prepare and very flavoursome.
Marlene King says
I like my salmon to be cooked med rare, just like steak, so 20 - 30 mins steaming would be way too much for me. I would be inclined to start off the veg first and then add the salmon half way through the cooking time. The spiced yoghurt sounds delicious, have this on the radar for later this week. Thank you
Tania Lee says
That spiced yoghurt sauce is great! It works beautifully with the salmon and potato, but also will keep it in mind for an accompliment to lamb. My family really enjoyed this meal, it's a winner! Thanks!
Thanks Tania! Pleased the family enjoyed it! Hey I love your lamb idea too! :)