I first published this recipe in April 2014.
A few weeks ago in the Thermofunkies Members facebook group we were talking about this recipe.
Jenene said this also works with zucchini and carrot OR just 200g carrots! Jenene also reduces the sugar to 180g. Emma another member, said she likes to add a tsp of cardamom too!
I’d love to hear if you have made any tweaks to it. 🙂
This is the most amazing cake. 23 seconds in the Thermomix! There is no need to squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini and as a benefit to this it keeps the cake so moist for days and days. I love the thought of having hidden vegetables in cakes, as then I don’t feel guilty for indulging! 🙂 This cake also is sensational even without the cream cheese frosting. I took the cake to work and it was demolished in literally seconds and everyone wanted the recipe for it!
- 250g raw sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp ThermoFun Vanilla Bean Paste
- zest 1 lemon, divided
- 250g zucchini washed, unpeeled, quartered
- 250g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g butter, cubed softened
- 90g cream cheese (room temp)
- ½ tsp ThermoFun Vanilla Bean Paste
- 300g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 23x33cm tin.
- Place sugar into TM bowl and mill 3 sec / speed 10.
- Add eggs, oil, vanilla, half the lemon zest and zucchini and mix 10 sec / speed 6. Scrape down.
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt and mix 10 sec / speed 6.
Bake 20 to 25 mins.
NB: time in oven can vary depending on the moisture in zucchinis.
- Allow cake to cool completely before icing.
- Place butter, cream cheese, vanilla, remaining lemon zest and icing sugar into TM bowl and mix 10 sec / speed 5. Scrape down and repeat.
GLUTEN FREE AND EGG FREE VERSION:
This can be made with gluten free flour and replace eggs with one medium size banana!
This recipe was loved by many on the ThermoFun September Cook Along.
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox every Monday make sure you become a ThermoFun Club Member.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.