Celebrating Chinese New Year and every other day 🙂
This is a family favourite all in one meal you can whip up in under 25 minutes.
It’s versatile in that you can chop up any veg hiding in the crisper or if you don’t have any you can just use some frozen peas and corn. Sometimes I even add some chopped up bacon or other leftover roast meats and sauté that with the garlic and ginger.
Certainly a great recipe to have at hand for an emergency meal or to make the night before shopping. Leftovers freeze well. Can be thawed and heated and put into a thermos for lunches.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2cm fresh ginger
- 20g sesame oil
- 500g chicken mince (or mince your own in a coarse style)
- 20g Chinese cooking wine
- 30g soy sauce or tamari
- 30g kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 350g basmati rice
- 1000g boiling water from kettle
- 1 carrot, diced small by hand
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 4 spring onions, sliced finely by hand
- Optional: other diced vegetables of choice eg zucchini, broccoli
- Optional: additional soy sauce / kecap manis to taste
- Put a kettle of water on to boil.
- Place garlic, ginger and sesame oil into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 7. Scrape down and sauté 4 mins / Varoma / speed 1. Use this time to prepare your vegetables and place them in the bottom layer of the Varoma and set aside.
- Add chicken mince, Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and kecap manis into TM bowl and mix 10 sec / speed 2 / Reverse.
Line the top Varoma tray with baking paper creating a shallow 'bowl' by twirling the corners so that juices can't fall through. Spread the chicken mince over the tray.
No need to wash TM bowl.
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl. Place rice into simmering basket and rinse under cold tap until water runs clear. Carefully insert basket into TM bowl. Replace TM lid and place assembled Varoma on top and cook 10 mins / Varoma / speed 4.
- Carefully lift Varoma lid and using spatula gently stir and break up any chunks of chicken mince. Continue cooking 7 mins / Varoma / speed 1.
- Break up any remaining chunks of mince with spatula and place chicken mince and juices into a serving bowl. Add the steamed vegetables and rice and combine well. Add some extra soy sauce or kecap manis if required.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.