It might sound unusual but it’s hearty and tastes great.
A fun way to introduce soup to the kids or to those who don’t think of soup as a ‘meal’.
Note: This makes 2 litres of soup! If you are wanting to add more carrots and potatoes you can do so – but you will need to cook the mince in the varoma rather than the simmering basket. This soup is a meal in itself. :)
This thermomix soup was enjoyed by many on the ThermoFun Cook Along June 2014 and May 2015.
Looking for more delicious and quick dinners? Then make sure you get a copy of my Meals in a Jiffy cookbook with 35 dinner recipes that can be on the table in approx. 30 minutes!
- 300g bacon, short cut, quartered
- 120g cheddar cheese, cubed
- 500g beef mince
- 100g carrots, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 20g olive oil
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano, ground
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 20g TM vegetable stock concentrate
- 450g boiling water from kettle
- 350g potatoes, peeled, diced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 100g cream
- 200g milk
- 60g sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place bacon onto tray and bake 20 mins until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool.
- Place cheese into TM bowl and grate 6 sec / speed 8. Set aside.
- Place cooked bacon into TM bowl and chop 2 sec / speed 8. Set aside.
- If you are mincing your meat do it at this step. Set aside.
- Place carrots, onion and oil into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 5. Scrape down.
- Add basil, cumin, oregano, and rosemary and sauté 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / MC off.
- Add stock, boiling water, potatoes and pepper.
- Insert simmering basket into TM bowl and add mince. Cook 15 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Break up mince with aid of spatula and cook for a further 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Tip mince into TM bowl and mix 1 min / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Add cheese, cream and milk and cook 3 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Stir in bacon and sour cream with aid of spatula (reserve some of each for garnish).
- To serve, pour into bowls and garnish with sour cream, bacon and parsley.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.
Could you make this with chicken mince
Kate I haven't tried it with chicken mince but I'm sure it would be great! Enjoy!
Will this freeze ok?
Yes it sure does freeze well Kara. :)
After our 3 week holiday in Bali, we return and live on soup for the 1st week as its winter time In WA and not at all.hungry. A friend told me to make this and it has taken me 2 years to do so. Won't be 2 years until I make it again. Very tasty and I believe a very fussy son will like this as well. He doesn't live at home, so hopefully some leftovers next time as there's none left now. Dinner for past 3 nights, hubby gives it the tick of approval as well.
Great to hear Chris. Thank you!
This is THE best soup! Very filing. We usually have soup and a meal but this is already a meal itself. I make 2 batches every time as my family of 5 devours it, there's never any left overs.
Fabulous to hear Kay! Yes it really is a meal in itself!! :)
I made this for dinner tonight and it was declicious! Such an easy recipe, thank you.
Thank you Julie. I'm pleased you enjoyed it! :)
Omg had this for lunch today was so easy quick and delicious will be making again for sure
Thanks Julliann I'm pleased you enjoyed it. :)
Oh my gosh. Wow! I halved this thinking I would never eat 2L of soup but I wish I hadn't now because I definitely could. Thank you for this amazing recipe.
Thanks Michelle - yes it certainly is a very popular recipe loved by all! :)
What would you suggest using in place of the carrot & potatoes?
Tracey you could try just leaving them out.