When is a salad not a boring old salad? When it’s a tasty, vibrant Asian style, Prawn Noodle Salad! This can be prepared and displayed looking very impressive on a large platter for your Easter or Festive gathering, or equally as impressive for your family in individual bowls. As an alternative to prawns, you could even use some steamed chicken cut into slices.
The thin vermicelli rice noodles are a wonderful pantry staple. To prepare they take less than 2 minutes of soaking in boiled water and then cooling under running cold water, drain well and they’re done.
OPTION: this thermomix noodle salad would also make a lovely filling for cold rolls. Keep the dressing on the side for dipping.
- 600g raw peeled prawns
- 600g boiling water from kettle
- 1 red onion, peeled and halved
- 200g carrot, quartered
- ½ Chinese cabbage, cut into large chunks
- half bunch fresh coriander, with stems
- large handful fresh mint, stems removed
- 40g kale, stems removed, cut into large pieces
- 1 small packet vermicelli rice noodles (from Asian/International aisle in supermarket, or Asian grocers)
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 3cm ginger, roughly chopped
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp ThermoFun Thai Spice Blend
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl. Add prawns to the simmering basket and carefully insert into TM bowl. Cook 7 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
Spread prawns out onto a plate and set aside to cool while preparing the rest of salad.
No need to wash TM bowl.
- Place onion into TM bowl and chop 2 sec / speed 5. Set aside into a large salad bowl.
- Place carrot into TM bowl and chop 2 sec / speed 5. Set aside with onion in salad bowl.
- Place ⅓ cabbage and coriander into TM bowl and chop 2-3 sec / speed 5. Add to salad bowl.
- Place ⅓ cabbage and mint into TM bowl and chop 2-3 sec / speed 5. Add to salad bowl.
- Place remaining cabbage and kale into TM bowl and chop 2-3 sec / speed 5. Add to salad bowl.
- Add cooled prawns to salad bowl (depending on size of prawns cut so they are approx. 2-3 cm).
- Place ginger and chilli into TM bowl and chop 5 sec / speed 9.
- Scrape down and add remaining dressing ingredients and mix 10 sec / speed 4.
- When ready to serve, combine the dressing with the prawn salad.
- Rehydrate the rice noodles following the packet directions.
- Divide the noodles onto 4 serving plates or bowls and spoon the salad on top. Ladle over any extra dressing.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.