I’ve always loved a good ol’ traditional apple pie and now I’ve discovered my new favourite by adding chocolate in the pastry and chocolate amongst the cooked apples! Can’t get much better than this! It is delicious! 🙂
- 220g plain flour
- 35g cacao
- 130g butter, cubed, softened
- 100g sugar
- 1 tsp ThermoFun Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 2 eggs
- 25g butter
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 20g coconut sugar
- 50g dark OR milk chocolate bits
- Place all pastry ingredients into TM bowl and combine 10 sec / speed 6.
- Take the dough out and bring it smoothly together with your hands forming it into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place into fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Line an 18cm wide spring form tin. Roll the dough out and fit it inside the tin coming up the sides. Pastry should be approx. 4/5mm thick. Trim the excess once in the tin and make a small disc with these trimmings and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place this and the pastry tin in the fridge.
- Place butter into TM bowl and melt 90 sec / 50°C / speed 1.
- Peel, core and dice 6 apples and add only half of them into TM bowl. Add cinnamon and sugar. Cook until apples have broken down and soft 15 mins / 100°C / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Add remaining apples and chocolate and mix 20 sec / speed 1 / Reverse.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Take the pastry tin and disc of dough out of the fridge. With a fork prick the base of the pastry in the tin a few times. Roll out the small disc of dough and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Tip apple mixture into the pie case and press down slightly. Gently fold the edges down a little over the apple. Place the cut out shapes randomly around the pie.
- Place pie into preheated oven and bake 35-40 mins.
- Dust pie with some icing sugar (optional).
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.