This recipe is based on the traditional Malaysian/Indonesian Satay. It’s a mild-medium flavour so if you prefer a hotter satay just add more chilli. This is also perfect as a quick sauce with noodles, vegetables and chicken.
- 150g peanuts, roasted, unsalted
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into pieces
- 1cm fresh ginger
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp turmeric, ground
- ½ - 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 120g peanut oil
- 30g kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 500-600g chicken thighs, cut into thin long strips
- wooden skewers
- Place peanuts into TM bowl and coarsely chop 6 sec / speed 6. Set aside.
- Place garlic, lemongrass, ginger, onion, coriander, cumin, turmeric, chilli flakes and oil into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 5. Scrape down.
- Sauté 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / MC off.
- Add kecap manis, salt, palm sugar (or brown sugar) and chopped nuts and mix 10 sec / speed 2 / Reverse.
- Remove 4 tablespoons satay sauce and combine it with the chicken strips.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and allow to marinate for min 1 hour (or overnight). Keep remaining satay sauce in fridge.
- Grill, pan fry or BBQ chicken skewers for a few minutes on each side until cooked and serve with the heated up satay sauce.
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox make sure you become a ThermoFun Club Member.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.