Kirsty is a much loved ThermoFun Club member and she shared recently of the passing of her Nana and she wanted to share with us a living reminder of her inspirational Nana.
Thank you Kirsty. 🙂
“I have very fond memories of being taught to cook some classic recipes while holidaying with my Nana as a child. One of my most popular requests was Hedgehog. As an adult, I became known for ‘Nana’s Hedgehog’, so much so that my mum made 100 pieces to use as my wedding cake! When my beautiful Nana passed away in April, at the incredible age of 97½ I decided I needed to convert her recipe to the Thermomix so I could regularly make this treat, and be reminded of the many, many happy times I spent in her kitchen. I was pleased to find it is easier in the Thermomix (which of course means we need to make it more often!)
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do in my family and I hope you think of the wonderful cooking influences in your life as you make this recipe.
- 250g Marie/Arrowroot biscuits
- 100g raw sugar
- 15g cacao
- 125g butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 140g chocolate melts
- 20g coconut oil
- desiccated coconut to sprinkle
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper. Allow some overhang to make it easy to remove.
- Place biscuits into TM bowl and chop 4 sec / speed 4 (they are meant to be large chunks). Set aside.
- Place sugar into TM bowl and mill 3 sec / speed 9.
- Add cacao and butter and melt 3 mins / 50°C / speed 2. Check and melt additional 1 min / 50°C / speed 2 if needed (should be a smooth liquid).
- Add egg and mix 10 sec / speed 4.
- Return biscuits to bowl and combine 10 sec / speed 2 / Reverse.
- Press mixture firmly into tin and allow to cool in fridge before melting chocolate on top.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil into TM bowl and grate 10 sec / speed 9.
- Scrape down and melt 3 mins / 50°C / speed 1.
- Scrape down and melt for a further 1 min / 50°C / speed 1.
- Pour melted chocolate over hedgehog and allow to set a little (approx. 20 mins) in fridge before sprinkling a handful of coconut on top. Cut into squares when set.
- Pour a glass of milk into TM bowl and mix 5 sec / speed 8.
- Heat milk 5 mins / 80°C / speed 4.
- Enjoy warm chocolate milk. No wasted chocolate!
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.