This is such a lovely great tasting soup. Terrific way to get some vegies into the kids and the quinoa adds protein too. This makes a full 2 litres, but leftovers freeze very well. To make it a vegetarian soup just omit the bacon. Make sure you reap the nutritional benefits of leaving the skin on and include the pumpkin seeds too.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1cm fresh ginger
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 rashers of bacon, quartered (if not using bacon/10g olive oil)
- 2 tsp coriander, ground
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 250g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 300g carrots, chopped into chunks
- 500g butternut pumpkin, (seeds/skin on) chopped
- 10g Worcestershire sauce
- sprinkle of thyme
- 20g TM vegetable stock concentrate
- 300g boiling water from kettle
- 50g quinoa
- 200g milk
- garnish: sour cream or yoghurt and chopped chives or sliced spring onion
- Place garlic, ginger, onion and bacon into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 5. Scrape down.
- Add spices and sauté (if not using bacon add 10g olive oil) 5 mins / Varoma / speed 2 / MC off.
- Add sweet potato, carrot and pumpkin and chop 30 sec / speed 7. Scrape down.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, thyme, stock and boiling water (see note below) and cook 10 mins / 100°C / speed 1.
- Add quinoa and cook a further 15 mins / 100°C / speed 1 / MC off, placing simmering basket on top of lid to prevent any spatter.
Remove basket and replace MC.
WARNING: WHEN PUREEING HOT LIQUIDS FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN YOUR THERMOMIX INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL.
- Carefully blend 1 min, gradually increasing from speed 1 to speed 9.
- Add milk until desired consistency is reached 30 sec / speed 6.
- Garnish with sour cream or yoghurt and chopped chives or sliced spring onion for garnish.
If using TM31 be careful not to go over the Max line in your bowl. After cooking the soup will reduce and you can add more liquid then if desired.
Please note that the turmeric will discolour your lid, however this will fade after a few washes.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.