As amazing and versatile as our Thermomixes are, we need to be mindful of a few timely ways to ensure we can continue to successfully use our machines.
- Always ensure your base is attached to the bowl – the base locks the blades into place.
- TM31: Lay the machine on its back if you think you have got liquid inside the unit as a result of not having the base attached to the bowl. This will drain any liquid away from the front of the machine where the electronics are. Click Here for more information on this.
- TM5: If you get a spill inside a TM5 DO NOT LAY THE MACHINE ON ITS BACK! The reason being the power board is at the back of the machine. If you think you have liquid inside your TM5 leave it UPRIGHT for 48 hours to drain before turning the machine on.
- Ensure that when pureeing your hot stock or soup to always start on the low speeds working your way up very slowly to higher speeds, this ensures that you get a consistent puree as well as preventing any hot food spatter.
- When doing puree of any hot foods, the turbo should not be used.
- When pureeing hot foods it is advisable not to hold down the measuring cup in place.
- After pureeing hot food, wait a good few seconds for the liquid to stop spinning before you remove the lid (TM31).
- When taking the lid off your Varoma or the lid off the bowl when cooking hot food, always open slowly away from yourself to ensure that you don’t receive any steam burns.
- Be mindful of the 2 litre indicator mark inside the top of your bowl (TM31 models) – this is the maximum point of filling your bowl.
- If you have a stubborn burnt mark on the bottom of your bowl – it can be easily cleaned with a paste of bi-carb soda and water – leave it on the mark for a while and then it will come off easily. Click Here for more cleaning your TM bowl tips.
- The green Thermomix brush is a great tool in helping clean the bowl and around the blade.
- The scales are extremely sensitive so it is important to be mindful of the following:
– that nothing is touching the TM
– that the TM is on a stable and flat surface
– make sure the cord isn’t under the feet of the TM
– check that the feet of the TM are clean and don’t have any bits of food etc stuck to them – even a grain of rice between your bench and the feet of the TM can be enough to put the scales out, so wipe your bench under the TM too.
– to check your scales try weighing your MC – it should weigh between 20-30grams.
- The measuring scales are in the feet of your machine – whenever you need to move your Thermomix it is important to lift and not drag in order to protect your scales.
- Clean the actual Thermomix unit using a damp soft cloth. Wipe off any food spatters as soon as possible to avoid any staining and don’t forget to give the back of your machine a wipe too!
- When using your simmering basket, place it in the TM bowl with the hole (where you put the spatula to lift it out) where the handle of the bowl is. For more information on your simmering basket Click Here.
- Take advantage of the “self clean” method – put cold water in the bowl (enough to cover the blades) and turn the speed up to speed 9 (or turbo) – this pre-rinse makes cleaning much easier, particularly under the blades. The high speed helps rinse any food off the inside of your lid.
- When kneading bread always stay with your machine and don’t have it too close to the edge of your bench. For more bread dough proving and tips Click Here.
- When using the butterfly do not go above speed 4.
Sometimes we need to be reminded that a little care and maintenance is needed not just for our machines, but for ourselves too. 🙂
Happy and Safe Thermomixing! 🙂
For more safety tips please take the time to watch this video.
For more hints and tips Click Here.
For many more hints, tips, ideas and support why not join the ThermoFun Club!
- Where you get a new recipe in your inbox every week for the Calendar year – that’s a minimum 52 recipes! (You will have access to all recipes already issued for the year no matter when you join). ?
- Plus you have FREE Access to over 50 documents containing meal ideas and more.
- Be involved in Cook Alongs for ThermoFun members only.
- Be in a private facebook group for ThermoFun members only.
Where do you sign up? Head to our Club Membership section and join today!
For more great tips and recipes on using your thermomix join our free monthly newsletter here: ThermoFun Newsletter Subscription.