As amazing and versatile as our Thermomixes are, we need to be mindful of a few timely ways to ensure we can continue to successfully use our machines.
- Always ensure your base is attached to the bowl – the base locks the blades into place.
- TM31: Lay the machine on its back if you think you have got liquid inside the unit as a result of not having the base attached to the bowl. This will drain any liquid away from the front of the machine where the electronics are. Click Here for more information on this.
- TM5: If you get a spill inside a TM5 DO NOT LAY THE MACHINE ON ITS BACK! The reason being the power board is at the back of the machine. If you think you have liquid inside your TM5 leave it UPRIGHT for 48 hours to drain before turning the machine on.
- PLEASE NOTE: THE TM31 MUST NOW BE USING THE GREEN SEAL WHICH CAN BE PURCHASED FROM TM AUSTRALIA. GREY SEALS SHOULD NO LONGER BE USED, AS THEY WOULD DEFINITELY BE MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD NOW. SEALS SHOULD BE REPLACED EVERY TWO YEARS AS INSTRUCTED IN YOUR MANUAL.
- Thermomix in Australia say for TM31 owners, when using Varoma temperature you are not to go above speed 2 as stated in the manual. However TM5 owners can go up to speed 6. For more information Click Here.
- Ensure that when pureeing your hot stock or soup to always start on the low speeds working your way up very slowly to higher speeds, this ensures that you get a consistent puree as well as preventing any hot food spatter.
- When doing puree of any hot foods, the turbo should not be used.
- When pureeing hot foods it is advisable not to hold down the measuring cup in place.
- After pureeing hot food, wait a good few seconds for the liquid to stop spinning before you remove the lid (TM31).
- When taking the lid off your Varoma or the lid off the bowl when cooking hot food, always open slowly away from yourself to ensure that you don’t receive any steam burns.
- Be mindful of the 2 litre indicator mark inside the top of your bowl (TM31 models) – this is the maximum point of filling your bowl.
- If you have a stubborn burnt mark on the bottom of your bowl – it can be easily cleaned with a paste of bi-carb soda and water – leave it on the mark for a while and then it will come off easily. Click Here for more cleaning your TM bowl tips.
- The green Thermomix brush is a great tool in helping clean the bowl and around the blade.
- The scales are extremely sensitive so it is important to be mindful of the following:
– that nothing is touching the TM
– that the TM is on a stable and flat surface
– make sure the cord isn’t under the feet of the TM
– check that the feet of the TM are clean and don’t have any bits of food etc stuck to them – even a grain of rice between your bench and the feet of the TM can be enough to put the scales out, so wipe your bench under the TM too.
– to check your scales try weighing your MC – it should weigh between 20-30grams.
- The measuring scales are in the feet of your machine – whenever you need to move your Thermomix it is important to lift and not drag in order to protect your scales.
- Clean the actual Thermomix unit using a damp soft cloth. Wipe off any food spatters as soon as possible to avoid any staining and don’t forget to give the back of your machine a wipe too!
- When using your simmering basket, place it in the TM bowl with the hole (where you put the spatula to lift it out) where the handle of the bowl is. For more information on your simmering basket Click Here.
- Take advantage of the “self clean” method – put cold water in the bowl (enough to cover the blades) and turn the speed up to speed 9 (or turbo) – this pre-rinse makes cleaning much easier, particularly under the blades. The high speed helps rinse any food off the inside of your lid.
- When kneading bread always stay with your machine and don’t have it too close to the edge of your bench. For more bread dough proving and tips Click Here.
- When using the butterfly do not go above speed 4.
- On social media this is often mentioned which is NOT advised by TM Australia and you could risk voiding your warranty. “To dry your bowl, place a tea towel into the TM bowl and mix on 15 sec/Reverse/speed 2.“
Sometimes we need to be reminded that a little care and maintenance is needed not just for our machines, but for ourselves too. 🙂
Happy and Safe Thermomixing! 🙂
For more safety tips please take the time to watch this video.
For more hints and tips Click Here.
For many more hints, tips, ideas and support why not join the ThermoFun Club!
- All recipes released in 2018
- Quarterly Cook Alongs
- Bonus Recipes released throughout the year
- Monthly Challenges
- Hints & Tips
- Facebook Funkies Closed Group Fun!!!
- Standard 20% OFF* on ALL ThermoFun products
For more great tips and recipes on using your thermomix join our free monthly newsletter here: ThermoFun Newsletter Subscription.