Please note: Recipe updated 28th December, 2017
We never used to eat a lot of fish, now I enjoy trying different flavours because it is so easy in the varoma and this was a hit with the family. The amount of fish you buy for this recipe can be altered to suit how many people you are cooking for. I like to use Ling as I find it great for steaming. This recipe was loved by many on the ThermoFun June 2014 Cook Along.
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 60g fresh orange juice (approx. 1 orange)
- 20g soy sauce
- 20g maple syrup
- 20g rice wine vinegar
- 15g sesame oil
- pinch of pepper
- 2x2cm fresh ginger
- 2 spring onions, quartered
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 x 150 fish fillets e.g. Ling, Hoki or Ocean Perch
- 250g brown rice
- 1400g boiling water from kettle
- large handful coriander, roughly chopped
- large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- ½ cup roasted almonds
- Place sesame seeds into a dry frypan and toast until golden. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place remaining dressing ingredients into TM bowl and combine 10 sec / speed 4. Pour the dressing in with the sesame seeds and set aside.
- Place ginger into TM bowl and chop 5 sec / speed 8.
- Add spring onions and chop 3 sec / speed 5. Set aside into a small bowl.
Add remaining dressing ingredients to the onion and ginger and set aside.
No need to wash TM bowl.
- Weigh rice in simmering basket and rinse under water.
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl and carefully lower basket into TM bowl and cook 20 mins / 100°C / speed 4.
- While the rice is cooking, tear 4 sheets of baking paper approx. 25 x 25cm square. Place a piece of fish in the middle of a sheet and spoon on a quarter of the fish dressing. Carefully lift the two long ends of the baking paper and fold over a couple of times. Fold up the two ends making a secure, contained parcel. Continue with the remaining fish and place on both levels of the Varoma.
Once rice has completed its first 20 mins of cooking, place the assembled Varoma with the fish, on top of TM lid. Continue cooking 10 mins / Varoma / speed 2.
NB: time of cooking fish will depend on thickness.
- While the fish and rice are cooking, prepare the salad ingredients and place into a large salad bowl. Roughly chop the coriander and parsley and finely slice the spring onions. Set aside.
- When fish has finished steaming, place the Varoma onto a plate and set aside to rest while putting the salad together.
- Rinse rice under cold tap to cool and drain well. Then tip the rice into the salad bowl.
Add the Asian Sesame Dressing, coriander, parsley, spring onions and almonds and mix well.
NB: It may seem like a lot of dressing but the rice will quickly absorb it.
Fish can be served either in its little parcel on a plate, or out of the parcel, generously spooning the aromatic sauce on top. With a side of Brown Rice & Sesame Salad, makes a delicious meal.
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox make sure you become a ThermoFun Club Member.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.