Now don’t let this thermomix sausage, apple & sage pastry braid fool you. It’s just a giant glamorous sausage roll! DO NOT let the thought of a pastry braid turn you off! It is really simple and once you get started you will fly through and it will be in the oven pronto! This is perfect for any occasion; lunch, dinners, picnics, the party table, lunch boxes, hot or cold. See you must make it because you will be disappointed if you don’t!
Okay enough with the suggestions – just get making! 😀 Oh wait one more suggestion – a dessert for afterwards 😀 A little scoop or 2 of Baileys Ice Cream!
Looking for more delicious and quick dinners? Then make sure you get a copy of my Meals in a Jiffy cookbook with 35 dinner recipes that can be on the table in approx. 30 minutes!
- 60g (2 slices) of bread, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 large apple, quartered and cored
- ½ tsp mixed herbs, dried
- 1 tsp sage, dried
- 1½ tsp whole grain mustard
- 6 quality herbed sausages
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, whisked with a fork
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Place bread into TM bowl and chop 4 sec / speed 6. Set aside.
- Place onion and apple into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 5.
- Add bread crumbs, mixed herbs, sage and mustard.
- Cut open the sausage casings and squeeze out the fillings into the breadcrumb mix and combine 10 sec / speed 4 / Reverse.
- Line a baking tray and join the sheets of pastry using a little water along one edge to form a rectangle. Press down the edge to seal it well.
- Scoop the sausage mix neatly into a strip down the centre of the pastry leaving the pastry 5cm bare at the top and bottom and bare on the sides.
- Cut a corner of pastry off each corner as shown in photo.
- Slice 1½ cm diagonal strips all the way along each side of the pastry.
- Fold the top and bottom ends over the filling and then criss cross the pastry strips alternatively over the filling like a braid.
Trim off any extra pastry at the end if necessary.
NB: this is a rustic dish so no need for absolute perfection.
- Brush the pastry all over with the egg and bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox become a ThermoFun Club Member today!
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.