Believe it or not I’m not actually a vodka drinker but for some reason this thermomix penne with vodka sauce recipe really intrigued me and I just had to give it a go! I even had to ‘borrow’ my son’s vodka that he’d received from someone for his 21st! This recipe also works well without the vodka. Leave out the bacon and it’s a very tasty vegetarian recipe. Add a little shredded chicken and you have a hearty main meal.
This is a perfect recipe to get you to cook your pasta in your ThermoServer and also to let you know that the varoma is a great substitute for a strainer!
This recipe was included in the July 2014 Cook Along and was thoroughly enjoyed by many. Such a quick and flavoursome meal.
- 60g parmesan cheese, cubed
- handful fresh parsley or basil
- 3 rashers shortcut bacon, quartered (optional)
- 20g olive oil (if not using bacon)
- 2 spring onions, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 800g tomatoes, can diced or fresh halved
- 130g vodka (optional)
- 70g water (or 100g water if not using vodka)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g thickened cream
- 350g penne
Click Here for directions to cook pasta in your ThermoServer.
While pasta is cooking, continue to make the sauce.
- Place parmesan in TM bowl and grate 10 sec / speed 9. Set aside.
- Place parsley/basil in TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 8. Set aside.
Place bacon (or oil), spring onions, garlic and chilli in TM bowl and chop
3 sec / speed 8.
- Scrape down and sauté 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / MC off.
- Add tomatoes (if fresh chop 5 sec / speed 5).
If using vodka: add 70g water and 130g vodka to bowl.
If not using vodka: add 100g water in TM bowl.
NB: the alcohol evaporates hence the different amounts of water.
- Add salt and cook 10 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / MC off and placing Varoma (no Varoma lid) on top of TM lid to capture any spatter.
- Add cream and parmesan (leaving a small amount aside for garnish) and warm through 2 mins / 100°C / speed 1.
- When pasta is cooked, drain pasta using the Varoma and return pasta back to empty ThermoServer.
- Pour sauce into ThermoServer, add parsley/basil and combine well.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with remaining parmesan.
Instead of using simmering basket to catch any spatter in this recipe, I have suggested the varoma because we can use the varoma to drain the pasta. Always happy to save on washing up when I can!
For other “Mad Monday” recipes Click Here
For more decadent recipes delivered to your inbox every Monday make sure you become a ThermoFun Club Member.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.