Although we didn’t get to the deep south of our American trip late last year we did get to experience a Jambalaya and I have to say it was a very soul filling food. So it was added to the must remake when home again! I would love to try some different variations on this as well. Here is my thermomix Chicken & Chorizo Jambalaya. I trust you will enjoy as much as I did.
If you’ve never had a Jambalaya before it’s basically a spicy rice dish, filled with chorizo and all different types of vegetables in a tomato sauce. I had originally thought that it was more like a gumbo and had to cook for hours and hours, but after a little google searching – wowsers! quick, simple, cheap and full of flavour! Ticked all the boxes!
I trust that your family will enjoy it just as much as mine have 😀
Looking for more delicious and quick dinners? Then make sure you get a copy of my Meals in a Jiffy cookbook with 35 dinner recipes that can be on the table in approx. 30 minutes!
Recipe inspired by BBCgoodfood
Please note the method to this recipe was updated on 1st June 2018
- 600g chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 1½ Tbsp ThermoFun Cajun Spice, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 20g TM vegetable stock concentrate
- 200g chorizo, sliced
- 400g can tomatoes, diced
- 250g basmati rice
- 1000g boiling water from kettle
- 10g lime juice
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thinly
- large handful fresh coriander or parsley
- Make ThermoFun Cajun Spice and set aside.
- Combine the chicken with 1 Tbsp Cajun Spice and set aside.
- Wet and squeeze a sheet of baking paper. Line the upper layer of the Varoma tray. Twist the corners of the paper to make a shallow ‘bowl’ shape and place chicken onto the baking paper ‘bowl’. Be sure to keep the side vents exposed so steam can circulate freely.
- Place garlic, onion, ½ Tbsp Cajun spice and stock into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 5. Scrape down.
- Add chorizo and sauté 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse / MC off.
Add tomatoes and heat through 2 mins / Varoma / speed 1 / Reverse. Set aside in a preheated ThermoServer to keep warm.
No need to wash TM bowl.
- Pour boiling water into TM bowl. Weigh rice in simmering basket and rinse under cold tap until water runs clear. Carefully insert basket into TM bowl.
- Place assembled Varoma tray onto TM lid and cook 13 mins / Varoma / speed 1.
- Add capsicum and lime juice to Varoma and cook 5 mins / Varoma / speed 1.
- Once the steaming has completed, add the rice to ThermoServer and combine with tomatoes and chorizo mix. Stir through coriander/parsley (leaving a little aside to garnish).
- Serve rice with chicken and garnish with coriander or parsley.
Click Here for more great recipes in a number of e-cookbooks – containing recipes to suit everyone.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please consider leaving a comment. It’s always refreshing to see comments from people that have tried a recipe and found it a success or tweaked it to suit.